Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Mentalist Pilot

In my 12th grade Psychology class, our teacher showed us the pilot for the TV show The Mentalist. I don't really remember what his reasoning was. Afterward, he assigned us to answer a bunch of questions in paper format, and that night I went home and wrote what follows:


History: Patrick Jane is a man who is ridiculously observant and can remember things like little details really, really well. He can tell, simply from your demeanor, what type of parents you had, who in your family has died in the last year, what type of lunch you had last week, and if you've ever made it the whole way up the rope in gym class. He once used his talents to pretend he could talk to the dead and he helped the police with cases when they wanted his help (but did not keep up the charade around the cops). One day, he was on a talk show and someone asked him about the case he was helping them with (see Plot). He slandered the serial killer, "Red John" on television, which made "Red John" very mad, so he killed P.J.'s wife and child. Now Patrick is a man out for revenge. 

Plot: The serial killer, called "Red John" by the police who pursue him, has struck again. The investigators are called in to investigate, and Patty O'Jane comes along with them. Shortly after arriving on the scene, he realizes that this is not really a Red John killing. All the evidence points to Red John - a taser was used to subdue the victims, the woman was raped then stabbed to death, and a weird red face:                was drawn on the wall in "his usual fashion," but Patrico won't be fooled; he notices that it doesn't share Red John's usual showmanship because the face wasn't the first thing seen (see Evidence.)
After a while of normal, by-the-books investigation of the people close to the victims, Pat-to-the-rick manipulates his colleagues to set him up with the psychiatrist (who was investigated earlier) for an interview to get good sleeping pills. During the course of this interview, Patrick-bo-Batrick-Fe-Fi-Fo-Fatrick uses his insane observations to make the psychiatrist illegally search his late co-worker's office looking for a diary that Patio Furniture will later plant, making the psychiatrist want to take from him when he plants it (also revealing it) and thus will confirm Patrick Swayze's suspicion, which he really knew for sure since the moment he met the guy: he killed his colleague and the chick, too - it was all an elaborate scheme that our Main Man Pat followed since the second he stepped into the airport that housed the plane that would deliver him to the city they were in based on how the flight attendant didn't bring him his peanuts the first time through.

Evidence: One of the examples of Pat/Rick's insane abilities is already listed above. In fact, more than the requisite two ways are already described in the Plot section. In spite of that, I'm going to list another one: in the exposition of the story, Jane-the-main-brain uses some significantly simplistic observational skills to discover that a man had killed his daughter because she stopped letting him rape her, and framed the neighborhood kid, based on how his wife didn't want to hug on him when they addressed the cops and neighbors comprising of the search party. That's pretty intense, considering most people would just think, "dude, don't try to hug your wife; your daughter was just discovered to have been killed instead of the previously-thought missing." 

Main Character: In spite of the ways I've referred to him and his freakish, supernatural abilities of a pretty simple, non-supernatural action, my favorite character in this TV show is definately... crap, I can't think of another weird way to say "Patrick Jane". I just got one about how he actually made the "Diary of Jane" and used that to frame the psychiatrist, but that's no good here. Anyway, I like him best because of the way he can take something we all do in varying degrees (paying attention) and do it SUPER WELL. That's one of the few attainable claims to fame: either do something new, do something in a unique way, or do something better than anybody else can. Particle Beam takes the latter of those options and makes it his B-word. He totally does something better than anybody else, but he also does it better than anybody else will ever be capable of thinking about doing. Partly because it's a fictional TV series, but not even Sherlock Holmes (of whom I'm a big fan) was this good! Also, all of Holmes' things were based on hard, physical evidence - but Patrick Jane does the same matter of intense knowing based on intuition and applies it to people and their histories, their motives, their freakin' minds, man! HE'S A MINDFREAK, I'M TELLIN' YA'S! A MINDFREAK! (I'm also a big-time Criss Angel fan).

You can see where I left room to draw the face when I turned it in. I even used a red pen for attention to detail. The only comment I remember from him was "What was the main character's name again? lol" Yeah he really wrote "lol" and I really didn't ever like the guy very much. I'm not sure where I got the idea to mess with the name but it was something to keep me interested while I did the paper. I'm pretty sure I got full credit for it in the end. I thought I still had it in the file but I guess not. 

Well, I suppose that's enough for today. I realized only a short bit ago that I only write a few paragraphs per post, but with a paper included it's a ton more reading than writing. So I'll leave you all alone for a bit. uh... bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment